Wednesday 11 February 2015

Story of Film: A Charming and Eloquent Introduction Designed to Peak Your Interests.



Hello there reader. I am here to set myself a challenge, and I hope you will follow me in my endeavours.

In 2012, film critic Mark Cousins released The Story of Film, a extensive 15 part documentary that followed film from its inception to Inception. I personally found it very engaging and informative, and upon finishing all of its parts I searched for some of the films it featured of which I was not previously aware. On the Wikipedia page for the documentary, I found an extensive list of the films that were in it. When not counting repetitions and other things like music videos or television, the list tallies up to 526 films.

And I am going to watch every one of them. In full. Then afterwards write a post about them.

Upon discussions with other people, I have decided that this project will chart the films in the order of which they appeared in the documentary. This will provide a sometimes eclectic assortment that will make me make connections between the films that are not just the ones conveyed by Mark Cousins. Of course there may be some problems with this. The gap in the length of the movie could move from 10 seconds in the first post to 9 hours in the second, thus creating a wide variety in the amount of which I write for you. And also there will be some films that will be difficult or near impossible to obtain, and to adhere strictly to one order could halt my progress.There are no problems as of yet though. So, "cross that bridge" and whatnot. 

As for the title of this blog? Well I felt there is somewhat of an arrogance to the documentaries title, The Story of Film, as though this was the first and last story that should be told. And my story is not just one of many others (such as yours), but one that is deliberately designed to follow off another (that of Cousins'). 

So here I am, in 2015, to present you with a Story of film - my Story of Film - as I essentially create my own film school from the template of another. Hopefully we will all learn some things together.

Let us begin. You know, whenever I can.

2 comments: